Popular Posts

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Natural Reflections

                                      Natural reflections……blogging solutions

     I believe we all reflect on our teaching naturally.  Note taking…reflecting on our experiences in the classroom only to revisit them with the intent of refining our learning process.  My students reflect on their learning as well. Our math curriculum, Everyday Math, has a self-assessment that students complete to understand what they know, what they don’t know, and what they should be studying.  According to Dewey (1933) in our assigned reading by Shi-Hsien Yang, http://www.ifets.info/journals/12_2/2.pdf , “Reflective thinking is the kind of thinking that consists of turning a subject over in  the mind and giving it serious and consecutive consideration.”
     Is writing becoming a lost art?  This is why I am excited about this class!  I can’t wait to jump into 1776 and share it with my students.  I believe for me blogging is one way to share this knowledge with my students.  Is blogging the solution?  Blogging will infuse more writing across my curriculum.  If students blog their reflections of their assignments, they will ask questions and share viewpoints of their discussions. They will have greater interests in writing their blogs than the standard paper and pencil writings.  Also knowing that their writings will be read by many on the World Wide Web, the quality of their writing will shine.
    This course will enable us to share our country’s history by employing the uniqueness of blogging.  We will reshape our learning to meet our students’ needs.  Hence, challenging students to perform at their highest potential and increasing their critical thinking, while giving them a sense of community.

1 comment:

Kathy Stettler said...

Just like you I am hoping this class gives me the chance to teach history in a way that makes my students want to learn more for the rest of their lives. There is so much I don't understand myself and I can't wait to be able to offer my students more.